I am Assistant Professor of Ecology with the Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione e Bioingegneria, the School of Civil, Environmental and Land Management Engineering and the School of Architecture, Urban Planning and Construction Engineering at Politecnico di Milano (PoliMi) since 2005.
After graduating in Environmental and Land Planning Engineering at the Politecnico di Milano (1996), I got a PhD in Ecology at the University of Parma (2001). I joined the DEIB as a Research Associate (2002-2004), then as an Assistant Professor (2005-present). I have participated to several national and international research projects funded by public and private agencies and I've been visiting scholar in various international research centers. I have served as a referee for more than 30 peer-reviewed international journals (see verified review record on Publons) and are currently member of the editorial board of the Journal of Limnology.
For more information, see an extended version of my CV.
My research interests include basic and applied research in ecology, with a particular emphasis on ecological modelling, population demography and conservation management, sustainable management of natural living resources, environmental impact assessment and sustainability indicators.
• Recanati F., A. Castelletti, G. Dotelli & P. Melià (2017) Trading off natural resources and rural livelihoods. A framework for sustainability assessment of small-scale food production in water-limited regions. Advances in Water Resources 110: 484-493. doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2017.04.024
• Jahnke M., R. Casagrandi, P. Melià, M. Schiavina, S.T. Schultz, L. Zane & G. Procaccini (2017) Potential and realized connectivity of the seagrass Posidonia oceanica and their implication for conservation. Diversity and Distributions 23: 1423-1434. doi: 10.1111/ddi.12633
• Mari L., L. Bonaventura, A. Storto, P. Melià, M. Gatto, S. Masina & R. Casagrandi (2017) Understanding large-scale, long-term larval connectivity patterns: the case of Northern Line Islands in the Central Pacific Ocean. PLoS ONE 12(8): e0182681. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0182681
• Paterno M., M. Schiavina, G. Aglieri, E. Boscari, R. Casagrandi, A. Chassanite, M. Chiantore, L. Congiu, G. Guarnieri, C. Kruschel, V Macic, I.A.M. Marino, C. Papetti, T. Patarnello, J. Ben Souissi, L. Zane & P. Melià (2017) Population genomics meet Lagrangian simulations: oceanographic patterns and long larval duration ensure connectivity among Paracentrotus lividus populations in the Adriatic and Ionian seas. Ecology and Evolution 7: 2463-2479. doi: 10.1002/ece3.2844
• Arrigoni Marocco A., R. Pelosato, P. Melià, G. Ruggieri, S. Sabbadini & G. Dotelli (2017) Life cycle assessment of natural building materials: the role of carbonation, mixture components and transport in the environmental impacts of hempcrete blocks. Journal of Cleaner Production 149: 1051-1061. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.02.161
• Melià P. (2017) Multi-criteria Decision Making for Marine Protected Area Design and Management. Pp. 125-144 in Goriup P.D. (ed.) Management of Marine Protected Areas. A Network Perspective from the Mediterranean and Black Seas. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. doi: 10.1002/9781119075806.ch7
• Ojea E., M. Pascual, I. Bitetto, P. Melià, M. Breil, J. Claudet & A. Markandya (2017) Socioeconomic impacts of networks of Marine Protected Areas. Pp. 103-124 in Goriup P.D. (ed.) Management of Marine Protected Areas. A Network Perspective from the Mediterranean and Black Seas. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. doi: 10.1002/9781119075806.ch6
My courses for the current academic year are: • Ecologia e sostenibilità dei sistemi produttivi undergraduate programme (laurea) in Environmental and Land Planning Engineering (8 ECTS credits), SSD BIO/07 (from A.A. 2012/13 to date in Milano Leonardo) • General Ecology postgraduate programme (laurea magistrale) in Sustainable Architecture and Landscape Design (4 ECTS credits), SSD BIO/07 (from 2015/16 to date in Piacenza) • Ecology postgraduate programme (laurea magistrale) in Landscape Architecture – Land Landscape Heritage (4 ECTS credits), SSD BIO/07 (from 2017/18 to date in Milano Leonardo)
• Previous courses are listed in my institutional web page or in my cv